Evidence-Based Medicine Resources
• Databases • Guidelines • Clinical Trials • Tutorials
• Critical Appraisal • Specialty Web Sites • Glossaries
- ACP Journal Club [USC]
- From the American College of Physicians - a journal comprised of critically appraised original studies and systematic reviews.
- The Cochrane Library [USC]
- The Cochrane Library contains high-quality, independent evidence to inform healthcare decision-making. Cochrane systematic reviews represent the
highest level of evidence on which to base clinical treatment decisions. In addition to
Cochrane reviews, the Cochrane Library provides other sources of reliable information, from other systematic review abstracts,
technology assessments, economic evaluations and individual clinical trials.
- Essential Evidence Plus [USC]
- Available for the web and mobile devices,
Essential Evidence Plus features InfoPOEMS, Cochrane abstracts,
practice guidelines, and decision support calculators. More Info
- Evidence Updates [Free]
- Evidence Updates, a collaboration between BMJ Group and McMaster University's Health Information Research Unit, offers an email alerting system and a searchable database of articles that are pre-screened for quality and given a clinical relevancy rating.
- the NNT [Free]
- The NNT, Number-Needed-to-Treat, web site includes therapy reviews, diagnostic (likelihood ratio) reviews, and risk assessments created by the NNT Group.
- Prospero [Free]
- From the Centre for Reviews and Dissemination - An international database of prospectively registered systematic reviews in health and social care.
- PubMed Clinical Queries [Free]
- Clinical Queries offers MEDLINE search filters for therapy, diagnosis, etiology, and prognosis studies. There is also a filter for locating systematic reviews.
- PubMed Health [Free]
- PubMed Health provides easy-to-read summaries of selected systematic reviews for consumers and full technical reports.
- SUM Search 2 [Free]
- From the University of Kansas - Simultaneously searches MEDLINE, DARE, the National Guideline Clearinghouse, and other resources.
- Trip Database [Free]
- A meta-search engine of many EBM resources, including the Cochrane Library, e-journals, practice guidelines,
e-textbooks, and PubMed.
- 2 MinuteMedicine [SOM]
- 2 Minute Medicine is a physician publishing group from Harvard Medical School. Their reports review and summarize high-impact and current medical literature. Available via AccessMedicine. Click
here to subscribe to their free daily updates.
- National Guideline Clearinghouse [Free]
- From the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.
- ACP-ASIM Clinical Practice Guidelines [Free]
- AHRQ Research Findings & Reports [Free]
- Evidence reports, technology assessments, and practice guidelines from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.
- Clinical Trials.gov [Free]
- National Institutes of Health database of clinical research studies.
- Clinical Trials LibGuide [Free]
- USC School of Medicine Library.
- Evidence-Based Medicine Resources Tutorial [Free]
- A self-paced tutorial developed by the USC School of Medicine Library.
- EBM Filters in PubMed [Free]
- USC School of Medicine Library.
- Introduction to Evidence-Based Medicine [Free]
- A self-paced tutorial developed by the Duke University Medical Center Library and the Health Sciences Library at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- Evidence Based Medicine Course [Free]
- A self-paced tutorial from SUNY Downstate Medical Center.
- Evidence Based Medicine Tool Kit [Free]
- A Collection of critical appraisal tools from the Evidence Based Medicine Working Group.
- How to Read a Paper [SOM]
- Trisha Greenhalgh's series of articles published in BMJ.
Specialty Web Sites
- OT Seeker (Occupational Therapy Systematic Evaluation of Evidence) [Free]
- Created by Occupational Therapists in Australia. This database contains citations and abstracts for randomized controlled trials and systematic reviews. Randomized controlled trials are rated for quality.
- PEDro (Physiotherapy Evidence Database) [Free]
- From the Centre for Evidence-Based Physiotherapy in Sydney, Australia. This database contains citations and abstracts for randomized controlled trials and systematic reviews. Randomized controlled trials are rated for quality.
- CEBM Glossary [Free]
- From the Centre for Evidence Based Medicine, Oxford.
- Glossary of EBM Terms [Free]
- From the Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine, Toronto.
- Glossary of Terms [Free]
- From the Evidence Based Emergency Medicine Working Group.